1. What you should have to apply for an ETA?

Applying for an ETA does not require showing a huge amount of documents.

All you need is a few minutes to submit an online application, for which you will need:

  • a valid passport with at least six (6) months' expiry date as of the day of entry to Canada,
  • e-mail address,
  • credit card.

In addition, you will be asked to provide some information, e.g. information about your health state, or the date of your departure.

All information entered in the online ETA application must be exactly the same as in your passport. If some information is not in your passport, it must be in accordance with the facts.

Remember that when you travel you must use the same passport that is linked online with your ETA application.

You may submit an application for only one person at a time.

So in case of e.g. a family trip of 5 people, each person will have to submit an application and pay. ETA is assigned individually to a given person.

2. When does your ETA expire?

You can repeatedly arrive in Canada within 5 years from the date of granting the ETA, or until the expiration date of the passport, whichever is earlier.

If you change your passport after receiving an ETA, your ETA will be void and you will have to get an ETA using your current passport.

3. Who does not need to apply for an ETA?

Exceptions apply to US citizens and travelers holding a valid Canadian visa.

Canadian citizens, citizens with dual citizenship and permanent residents of Canada.

4. What should my next step be after receiving an ETA?

Your ETA consent is electronically linked to your passport number.

Your migration officer has the right to check whether the information given in the ETA application is consistent with your passport data.

You do not need to carry a printout confirming your ETA status.

5. Pay special attention to

Citizens of countries exempt from visa requirements need an ETA. American and Canadian citizens, as well as persons with dual Canadian nationality and permanent residents of Canada cannot apply for an ETA. Citizens of countries exempt from visa requirements need an ETA.

If you are the so-called stateless person, or if you're traveling based on a refugee document, you will have to apply for a visa or transit to Canada!

6. What if the person traveling to Canada is a child?

Persons under the age of 18 are treated as minors in Canada. Depending on whether the child is traveling alone or with a guardian, they must have the relevant documents.

When a child is traveling alone, they should have: their passport, a copy of the parent's passport, letter/permit in English or French, signed by the parents or legal guardians, including permission from the guardians, address, contact telephone number of an adult who shall be dedicated to the care of the minor in Canada.

If the child is traveling with only one parent, they should additionally have a birth certificate, copy of the passport/ID of absent parent, and a permission from the absent parent, containing their address and contact phone number.

7. What if I have a United States Green Card?

In this case, you will be asked to provide your United States Green Card number.